- I was wrong…the Carolina Panthers have indeed fallen victim to the Super Bowl curse. I honestly never saw it coming.
- I am perfectly aware that my WV Mountaineers have virtually no shot to make the college football playoff, even if they go undefeated, something that I don’t think is going to happen anyway. However, recent comments by former NY Giants DB turned talking head Jason Sehorn were unprofessional & unnecessary.
- Alabama is such a machine that I’ve grown bored with them.
- I’m not surprised that the New England Patriots are that damn good…I’m just not happy about it.
- Ben Roethlisberger is the starting QB on my fantasy dynasty team. Thank God Derek Carr is my backup.
- What the hell is wrong with the Big 12?? The number “12” is in the name…they should be compelled to add two members!!
- I’m really surprised about how much Notre Dame & Michigan St. have fallen since last season.
Okay, so last week Zach was 3-4, while I went 5-2. Yay…I’m above .500!! Let’s see how it goes this week.
My Season: 21-20
Z’s Season: 14-28
BYU at Boise St. (-7)
The Broncos are 6-0 and ranked 14th in the country, having defeated some pretty solid competition. However, let’s not overlook the 4-3 Cougars, who lost those three games by a total of 7 points. They’ve got a RB named Jamaal Williams who will be playing on Sundays next year. I’m going to roll the dice and pick the upset. Conversely, Zach has concerns about BYU’s defense and thinks Boise will win in a blowout.
My Pick: BYU
Z’s Pick: Boise St.
Miami, FL at Virginia Tech (-6)
Ahhhh…it’s a battle of former Big East foes, both of whom abandoned the conference for the ACC and killed the Big East. At any rate, both programs seem to be on the cusp of relevance again. I know the Hurricanes have lost two in a row and the Hokies were beaten by Syracuse last week, but I still think both can win 9 or 10 games and get a major bowl bid. Obviously the winner of this game will be in better shape. Tech is getting the home field bump, but I believe Miami is the better team. Zach can’t overlook the home field advantage and likes the favored Hokies.
My Pick: Miami, FL
Z’s Pick: Virginia Tech
Arkansas at Auburn (-10)
Okay…so, neither of these teams have a snowball’s chance in Brazil of winning the SEC or even their division. But the Razorbacks, at 5-2, and the Tigers, at 4-2, can both still have great seasons. A victory here would certainly help. Auburn is getting a big home field bump, but that seems odd. The points are a bit much and I’m not buying it. Zach concurs.
My Pick: Arkansas
Z’s Pick: Arkansas
NY Giants (-2.5) vs. L.A. Rams
Before the season I predicted that the Rams would go 3-13. They’ve already gotten three wins and we aren’t even to the midpoint of the season. More surprising than that is the fact that they’re doing well with Case Keenum under center and #1 overall draft pick Jared Goff hasn’t even smelled the field. Imagine what they could be doing if they’d chosen Carson Wentz or Paxton Lynch. Meanwhile, the always unpredictable Giants are also 3-3. They really need to find a better running back, but as long as Odell Beckham is around being an elite receiver they have a fighting chance. This game is being played in London and will start at 9:30am here in America. In other words no one will be watching. I’m going to walk on the wild side and pick the upset…for no apparent reason. Zach likes OBJ to have another big day and lead the Giants to victory.
My Pick: LA Rams
Z’s Pick: NY Giants
Minnesota (-2.5) at Philadelphia
Everybody has been impressed with rookie QB Wentz, but after a 3-0 start the Eagles have lost two straight. Meanwhile, Sam Bradford, who was traded to Minnesota from Philly a couple of months ago, has led the Vikings to a 5-0 record. When QB Teddy Bridgewater was lost to injury I assumed Minnesota’s playoff hopes had ended, but I was wrong. Really wrong. I suppose they’ll lose at some point, but I don’t think it’ll be this week, even in enemy territory. Zach likes the Vikings’ defense and believes that will be the difference.
My Pick: Minnesota
Z’s Pick: Minnesota